Today, we’re diving into a topic concerning Ontario’s roads’ safety and the legal implications associated with stunt driving. Did you know that Ontario has specific laws addressing stunt driving? In this blog post, we’ll explore the details of these laws and the severe penalties that can follow if you’re caught engaging in dangerous driving behaviours.
Stunt Driving: What Is It?
Stunt driving, often considered reckless and highly dangerous, is subject to strict regulations in Ontario. The primary factor determining whether an act qualifies as stunt driving is the speed limit on the road you’re driving on. Let’s break it down:
- Speed Limits under 80 km/h: On roads with speed limits below 80 km/h, stunt driving is defined as driving 40 km/h or more over the speed limit. That’s a significant difference in speed and a recipe for disaster.
- Speed Limits of 80 km/h or more: On roads with speed limits of 80 km/h or higher, stunt driving is defined as driving 50 km/h or more over the speed limit. This is a critical distinction because higher speeds increase the risk of severe accidents and injuries.
Additional Risky Behaviours:
It’s important to note that stunt driving isn’t solely about excessive speed. It can also encompass other dangerous behaviours, such as brake checking another vehicle. These actions can lead to catastrophic accidents, resulting in injuries and even fatalities.
Consequences of Stunt Driving:
The penalties for stunt driving in Ontario are severe, and rightly so, given the life-threatening risks involved. If you’re caught stunt driving, you could face:
- License Suspension: Your driving privileges may be suspended, leaving you unable to operate a vehicle for an extended period legally.
- Vehicle Impoundment: Your vehicle may be impounded, adding inconvenience and costs to the substantial penalties.
- Significant Fines: Stunt driving convictions often come with hefty fines that can put a dent in your wallet.
- Jail Time: Stunt driving can lead to imprisonment in the most severe cases. This is a grim reminder of the potential life-altering consequences of dangerous driving.
We Represent Victims Injured in Car Accidents
Beyond the legal penalties, it’s crucial to remember that stunt driving often results in catastrophic accidents, leading to severe injuries. At White Macgillivray Lester, we don’t deal with the prosecution or defence of stunt driving charges. Instead, we represent the victims of severe car accidents, many resulting from reckless driving.
We strongly urge all drivers to prioritize safety, slow down, and make responsible choices behind the wheel. By doing so, we can collectively contribute to safer roads and reduce the number of victims affected by dangerous driving behaviours.
Have you been injured in a car accident and need legal assistance? Contact us today for expert guidance and support. Your safety and peace of mind are our top priorities.