Duncan Macgillivray HBA, J.D.
Certified Specialist (Civil Litigation)
Duncan Macgillivray understands the gravity of personal injury. As he says, “This is your life we’re talking about. Choosing an injury lawyer is one of the most critical events in one’s life, impacting you and your family, and should not be taken lightly.”
Practicing in Northwestern Ontario gives Duncan a real advantage. He knows the landscape – the doctors, the treatment providers, the rehabilitation teams. Duncan also knows the challenges faced by injured people in this part of the province.
In addition, Duncan knows insurance law, another critical weapon in a personal injury case. For almost a decade, Duncan taught Insurance Law at the Bora Laskin Faculty of Law at Lakehead University.
Duncan is a writer for the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association blog, has chaired and presented at OTLA and Thunder Bay Law Association conferences on many occasions, and has been quoted in legal and local newspapers on personal injury and automobile insurance issues.
Duncan Macgillivray is active in the community, as reflected in the many organizations he’s engaged with, including: Brain Injury Association of Thunder Bay (Board of Directors 2009 to 2017 and President 2010 to 2015), Thunder Bay Counselling Centre (Board of Directors 2009 to 2015 and Board Chair 2011 to 2015), the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association (Board of Directors 2015 to Present, Treasurer 2018 to 2021, Executive 2018 to Present), The Advocates’ Society, the Thunder Bay Law Association (Board of Directors 2012 to 2017), and of course, the Thunder Bay Lawyers Hockey Team, to name a few. As the Thunder Bay organizer for OTLA’s Bike Helmets on Kids program, Duncan has organized the donation of over 1,800 free bike helmets to elementary school kids.
Duncan Macgillivray’s Team
Duncan works closely with his staff, including Nancy Campbell, Personal Injury Analyst, Gayle DuBois, one of the most experienced legal assistants in Thunder Bay, and Stephanie DiGiuseppe, Law Clerk.
Duncan Macgillivray’s Awards
- Northwestern Ontario Visionary Award, Top 20 Under 40 (2012)
- City of Thunder Bay Citizen of Exceptional Achievement (2015)
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2021 Edition
- Best Lawyers Lawyer of the Year Personal Injury Litigation Greater Ontario, 2022
Duncan Macgillivray’s Qualifications & Affiliations
- Called to the Bar of Ontario, 2009
- Juris Doctor, Queen’s University School of Law, 2008
- Honours Bachelor of Arts (Political Science), First Class Standing, St. Francis Xavier University, 2005
- Ontario Trial Lawyers Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Law Society of Ontario
- Thunder Bay Law Association
- Certified Specialist, Civil Litigation